From March 2018, the current 457 visa program will be abolished and replaced with the completely new Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) visa.
The TSS visa will be comprised of a Short-Term stream allowing stays of up to two years, and a Medium-Term stream allowing stays of up to four years.
The Short-Term stream visa is renewable only once. The STSOL occupation list will apply for Short-Term Stream applicants.
The Medium-Stream visa holders may renew their visas onshore and may apply for permanent residence pathway after working for three years in Australia. The MLTSSL occupation list will apply for Medium-Stream visa applicants. This stream is relatively similar to the current 457 visa.
Tighter Regulations for both streams:
- Increased Work Experience Requirements
- Higher English Language Levels Requirements
- Mandatory Labour Market Testing
- Set Australian Market Salary Rates
- Additional Character, Anti-Discrimination and Training Requirements
Changes to Occupation lists in 2018